September 19, 2020

Ruby Jubilee


I can now use the idiom “I have been around” without much hesitation, as I have been around for 4 decades. Yes, recently I turned 40. 😇

My existence can be divided into two similar but converse desires all through my life – me then, trying hard to look older and me in recent years, yearning to stop looking older.  

Everyone usually says “younger me was more gorgeous”, which holds untrue for me. That doesn’t mean the reverse is true. No, I can’t post my childhood pic to prove it to you.

I have always had a thin and feeble voice. Age or even my daughter for that matter 😉, could not make it strong. There were days when even the worst throat infection made me feel glad because only on those days, I used to feel like ‘hey, naanum rowdydhaan… naanum rowdydhaan…’. But I am glad that the feeble voice is now useful for my daughter, as I gave her attendance once or twice for her online class when she was not around for a while and no one could identify it (audio unmute and video mute).    

I am a short person, so popularly called by many in school as “kulli”. But I used to tell them “Good things come in small packages”. Much later I realized that there is another saying “The bigger, the better” 😒. These sayings or proverbs, they are many to satisfy everyone. Another for example, தோல்வியே வெற்றிக்கு முதல் படி & முதல் கோணல் முற்றிலும் கோணல். But gone were the days when I was concerned for such proverbs. Now, as “I have been around”, nothing matters when the experience speaks.

My life completely transformed from me being innocent through a major part of my life to being sinful… Errr… I mean experienced. Yes, numerous experiences and learnings throughout (read: I have made many mistakes because they say “experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes” right?), some of them I learned out of interest, and life taught me some, out of affection. 😂  

Interests, beliefs, and likings kept changing as the years go by; I look at it as evolvement and still need to grow up in many ways. Surely getting older has helped me become comfortable in my own skin, as I now know my abilities and situation better. Or as I have now put it up in writing, I can follow it even better.😆 

I wanted to advise my experiences to you people, as you know “I have been around”, but being around has taught me not to advise anyone 😁. So பொழச்சு போங்க. Though I can read your mind voice saying “but you are making us read your blog which is crueler than that”. I can just shrug my shoulders on that.   

Birthdays (or any other days for that matter) have never excited me in all these years. But this year being a Ruby jubilee, I wanted to highlight this BD and so did the honors by writing this blog post.

Aging is beautiful. Let me age gracefully.

1 comment: